Wednesday, October 26, 2011

What's on the shelf

Posted by Marilee

Recently we did a post about adding fabric behind the shelves in my master bedroom.  We bought 4 yards (2 yards for each side) and Sarah installed it as you saw in the previous post.  She also redecorated the shelves by "shopping the house".  Sarah did a terrific job!  Every time I walk in the room now, I am surprised at what a great change it is.  I love the warmth that it added to the room and I love the way the items are displayed on each shelf.

I love "treasures".  Mostly things I've found in a thrift store, antique store, gifts, etc... and some of the more special items ended up on the shelves in the master bedroom.  I will take a moment and share those items with you and why they might be special to me.



The spool is on a peg board type shelf.  I love the color and texture it adds.  And a good friend gave it to me.



I love all things that come from Illinois, Maryland, or Pennsylvania.  I have relatives in each of those areas and frequently visit. So when I run across something that I love, I try to bring it home - in memory of my visit and my family.  This is a metal box found in an antique store a couple of years ago.  I love that it says Peoria, Ill on it.



I love taking pictures and the camera in the middle was a gift from Sarah when she went back east.  I guess she was the one to start my antique camera collection.  The other two are from a good friend.


The glass piece I found in Montana last year.  I believe it is intended to hold olives, but cotton balls look and smell nicer.  The candlesticks are from local stores in the San Diego area.  The little black thing is an old stamp of an "8", I think that is from Pennsylvania while visiting my sister.


The picture is of Chicago last September when Sarah had a work convention and I tagged along.  I love this photo.  It is across the street from our hotel.  The dark piece in front is an antique bracket.  I love the detail!



The drawers are something that had belonged to Steve's Dad. The silver piece is some sort of antique butter holder.  And that's everything on Steve's side of the bed.  Let's switch to my side:



The weedy plant - Bed Bath and Beyond.  The picture - Illinois and the 2 boxes - a gift from my niece Allison...thanks  Allison - so sweet.  the metal box also has a frame that matches it...in another room.


A picture of Steve and our grandson, Jonathan.  The little blue china - a gift from Tamy back in high school, hand painted by her Mother, Jill.


The gear I got back in Illinois.  The wood ball is off a baluster that our company tore down.  The books I tied together.  The little Mary had a Little Lamb and her 2 Sheep.  A precious gift from my Grandmother back when I was in high school from a five and dime store, but I ADORE them and imagine...I have carried them from house to house and they have never broken.  The dancer is also super super fragile and used to be my Mom's - always hand carried in a move.  The dress is actual lace and breaks easy.  Isn't that called Dresden?




The vase Geneva, Ill.  The photo, My Dad as a small boy.  The picture was made by my grandson.  The spool is from Pennsylvania.


The teapot came from an antique store here in town.  The photo, Steve as a child in his best cowboy attire.  The little box is from Montana.  It is signed, made in Russia and is all hand-carved.


The jewelry box was my Grandmother's.  The peacock is from my niece, Allison.  The rings are from Illinois.


Random books, candlesticks - I don't recall


The yellow cabinet is from here in town and a recent purchase.


The finished project...AWESOMENESS!  My side!

And Steve's side.

I hope you enjoyed all my treasures!

Marilee

No comments:

Post a Comment